The Guide - again

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 7 16:36:21 PST 2009

On Mar 7, 2009, at 14:33, Rainer Müller wrote:

>> I do not believe we need to move all or part of the guide to the
>> wiki. Quite the opposite: documentation that's getting created in the
>> wiki should get moved to the guide.
>
> To be honest, editing the guide sucks. Contributing to the wiki is
> much
> easier.
>
> Especially if the concern is the guide being outdated, I see the
> problem
> in the guide format. We had the recent discussion to move the guide to
> another markup language but it was teared down. What else can we do to
> attract more people for writing documentation?

We don't want more people writing the Guide. It should stay as a
coherent document authored by one or a few individuals who have a
handle on the whole thing.

I'm all for people adding documentation to the wiki, just to get it
out there quickly, where it can be refined and polished until it's
ready to be included in the Guide.