ulimits for MacPorts on Panther

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 15 10:30:00 PDT 2009

On 15.03.2009 17:09 Uhr, cssdev at mac.com wrote:
> Looking at a CMake bug [1], it seems like there might be differences
> in the limits defined for the MacPorts environment. This apparently
> causes a problem when building CMake. It apparently builds fine
> outside MacPorts, but not within it.  I think that CMake needs a
> different limit than what's imposed by the MacPorts build environment.
> Could someone with Panther confirm whether there are any differences
> between the MacPorts and Panther environment limits?

I don't own a Panther machine, but I had a look at the error message
reported in the ticket. The compiler is trying to allocate 3609800964
bytes, that's around 3.4 *giga*bytes. I would suspect a compiler bug
with gcc 3.x here.

Ryan, when you tried compiling outside of MacPorts, did you enable the
same CFLAGS? MacPorts applies -O2 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS by default, it
could be that the bug is only experienced with optimization enabled. Try
setting configure.optflags to an empty value.

Rainer