Universal and binary builds (was: Re: Is isysroot useful for non-universal?)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Mar 23 20:25:40 PDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 18:43, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Since rosetta doesn't handle ppc64, we can't narrow this down to a
>> single x86_64 box.
>
> We can't narrow it down to a single Intel Mac per OS anyway because
> one of the problems is that some software doesn't cross-compile
> correctly. The point is to eliminate the need for cross-compiling by
> compiling natively on each type of Mac.

Right, but with rosetta, you *should* (I haven't tried it) be able to
setup a ppc chroot and within that chroot it'll look and feel like ppc
as far as your build train is concerned (thus it's not "cross"
compiling specifically).  But still, the lack of ppc64 support within
rosetta is probably the bigger issue (atleast in my mind)