darwin may lose primary target status on FSF gcc

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Fri Sep 18 16:57:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:46:57PM +0000, Eric Hall wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 07:38:15PM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> >   There is hope! We have an analysis of the exact
> > breakage in eh under 10.6 for gcc trunk...
> >
> > http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2009-September/025908.html
> > http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2009-September/025909.html
> >
> > The breakage in gcc trunk is due to the additional epilog unwind
> > information which darwin's unwinder (which is always used under
> > 10.6 since symbols in libgcc-10.5 always come from libSystem)
> > doesn't understand. The possible fixes are either to 1) not add
> > the additional epilog unwind information on darwin or 2) have
> > the gcc driver on darwin implicitly pass -no_compact_unwind to
> > the link line. Cheers.
> >            Jack
>

> 	Did someone care somewhere in here?

If anyone here cares whether gcc 4.5.0 exists in a usable form
on darwin10, I should hope so. These were courtesy emails for
the gcc44 maintainers here to let the know that someone is
working the issue. If darwin support for gcc isn't tended to
you'll eventually stuck running g95 (oh..wait...g95 doesn't
build on darwin10...never mind).
  Actually some of this is quite interesting. The system libgcc
isn't really what it seems under 10.6 and has actually been
folded into libSystem (which makes sense as clang having a
dependence on libgcc would be odd). The upshot is that while
the gcc44 maintainers may think they are build FSF gcc to use
its own libgcc that isn't the case. In darwin10, the libgcc
symbols in libSystem are always used (which explains why
darwin10 shows the exception handling regressions in gcc trunk
and darwin9 doesn't since it is still really using the FSF
libgcc which is built).
            Jack