Handling of Tiger-specific bug reports

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Aug 19 11:09:59 PDT 2011

On 2011-8-20 00:16 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2011, at 02:15, vincent habchi wrote:

>>> I still have a G4 with Tiger; if you need someone to test a Tiger-specific patch, you can Cc me and I'll try to have a look.
>>
>> Practically, does this means we do not support the ppc architecture anymore, since it is limited to Leopard?
>
> If you go strictly by the "current and immediately previous OS release" policy, I suppose it does. However, there's no need for us to go deliberately breaking PowerPC or Leopard or Tiger support. If we can maintain support for those platforms without too much problem, it would be nice of us to continue to do so. I think there are still a few people using PowerPC machines.

Practically speaking, Lion is still on its way in and so Leopard is not
quite out. But even when that's no longer the case, there's a difference
between "supporting" a platform in the sense that the code should more
or less run on it, and "supporting" it in the sense of offering the
expectation of timely help and bug fixes for issues encountered.

Tiger is still supported in the former sense, but not the latter. We try
not to break base on old OS releases without a good reason. We dropped
Panther (and Jaguar, though that was pretty dubious already) because it
doesn't have SQLite, and also something else that one of the previous
GSoC projects needed but I can't recall what it was.

- Josh