gcc, as, AVX, binutils and MacOS X 10.7

vincent habchi vince at macports.org
Sun Oct 2 08:31:57 PDT 2011

Le 2 oct. 2011 à 16:47, Andrea D'Amore <and.damore at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 11:17, vincent habchi <vince at macports.org> wrote:
>> We can’t count on Apple helping us, since they are forbidden to touch every GPL v.3 tool.
>
> Why is this?

Apple politics. When GPL v3 went out, I was involved with the NetBSD project, and there was also a lot of discussions about it, up to the point of thinking about abandoning Gcc altogether. I switched to MacOS before the case was settled down. The GPL v3 is less permissive and much more obscure, legally, than the v.2.

Apple did not hesitate for a long time: they decided to quit using all GPLv3, that’s why you never got a GCC newer than 4.2; accidentally, sometime later I reported a bug about being unable to compile GCC, and I was told engineering couldn't help me because they were forbidden to use or even download GPLv3 tools.

I don’t think Jobs’ departure will alter this course…

Vincent