Update mono, F#: support "select"

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Tue Dec 13 19:08:53 CET 2016

Hi Mojca,

> On 13 December 2016 at 16:32, Luc Bourhis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing an update for the fsharp port (F# language), which is very outdated. This requires an update to the mono port, from version 3 to 4. One could make the case to support every x.y version of Mono and F# as MacPorts does for python, ruby, etc and then to let the user choose with port select. I would appreciate some pointers on how to support “port select” though.
>
> I would suggest you to think twice (or three times) before going for
> support for multiple versions. It is possible, but I would do it only
> if this is really really really needed.

Thanks for the advice, and the pointers, I will think about it. Personally, I only need the last versions and there are no port depending on mono, so it does not matter at all at the moment. I was just trying to think about the future.

I’d like to pick on a comment of yours if you don’t mind…

> (Ruby is completely outdated and only the interpreter works, packaging
> is completely unmaintained.

MacPorts provide ruby 2.3, which is not outdated, is it? Moreover, I did write a Portfile to install a gem (byebug) a short while ago and it worked out-of-the-box. What am I missing?

Best wishes,

Luc