buildbot: +quartz ?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Sat Mar 4 14:10:37 UTC 2017

> On Mar 3, 2017, at 10:26 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
> On 4 March 2017 at 03:51, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> I know that we would like to find a clean solution to building ports with non-default variants.  As an interim step, however, I wonder if we might consider a buildbot that is configured to default to “+quartz”?
>
> We don't even need a separate buildbot. Just a relatively simple
> improvement to the existing buildbot.
>
> See:
>   https://trac.macports.org/ticket/52742
>
> I suggested adding a field to allow manually specifying arbitrary
> values for variants. But we would need some automatism as well.
> Perhaps something like the following:
>
>   If variant quartz exists, build the port once again, but this time
> with '+quartz'
>
> but covering all corner cases (when +x11 +quartz is allowed together
> and when it is not …).

If we use the existing buildbot instances, won’t they they try to upload built binaries to packages.macports.org?

In another ticket [1], you noted the problem where an indirect dependency must be built with +quartz.  This is why I felt a dedicated “PlusQuartz” buildbot might be a simple solution that we could get running quickly.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/40294

I note that there have been tickets about this practically since the buildbots were first implemented. I think it would be better to get a partial solution implemented now rather than spend more years waiting for perfection.  As they say: “Late answers are wrong answers."

Craig
(Second attempt to send; using lists.macports.org didn’t work.)