CI system for PR builds

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Apr 7 05:40:10 UTC 2018

On 3 April 2018 at 19:26, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2018-04-03 13:37, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> We can already trigger our Buildbot directly from GitHub and could spawn
>>> a VM from a snapshot using libvirt.
>>
>> My (potentially wrong) impression was that libvirt only works:
>> - from 10.11 on
> I think you are mixing things up here.

I hope so :)

> libvirt offers an abstraction
> layer to control various hypervisors, such as qemu, VMware, VirtualBox,
> ESX, etc. It would be used as a mechanism to start/stop VMs and manage
> snapshots.
>
> What you could possibly mean by the limitations is the
> Hypervisor.framework (actually as of macOS 10.10). But that is only
> needed on the host machine, not for the VMs running on that hypervisor.

Yes, I read somewhere on Docker that only a specific (new enough) OS
version is needed for the host. For the guest I was basing my guess on
    https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM
which specifically mentions just 10.11-10.13 and in addition needs
different instructions for installing 10.13 as a guest.

>> - with a bit of legal questionability
>
> From my understanding, it is legal to virtualize macOS, as long as the
> hypervisor is running on a Mac as well, which is possible.

I'm aware that it's legal to virtualize macOS on mac hardware, it's
just not 100% clear to me that all of the steps involved in setting up
libvirt images are 100% OK. (Can those same images be used on Linux
unmodified? If so, I would at least imagine that preparing them
requires the knowledge of a special "key" that's available in the
above mentioned repo. I don't know though.)

Mojca