port version reports 2.4.2 when built from tag v2.4.3

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 12 23:05:20 UTC 2018

On Apr 12, 2018, at 18:02, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Okay. I was confused as to whether the installer contained the complete ports repo or if it had to download that from the servers. I'm used to fink where the installer only provides a core set of the base package files and the rest have to be obtained from their servers.

MacPorts is the same. The installer installs the base code, and then runs "sudo port selfupdate" which updates base to the latest version *and* downloads the collection of portfiles. The collection of portfiles is not tied to a specific version of MacPorts, but is meant to always be used with the latest (or nearly the latest) version of MacPorts.