request for port create command, to build a portfile from a URL

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 22:00:05 UTC 2018

On 6 Mar 2018, at 16:19, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
> On 2018-3-7 01:58 , Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>
>> port create URL
>> Might make things faster and easier for people to get started and up and running.
> There's a fairly basic tool called portfile-gen in contrib.

I took a bit to find it, so here's the link https://github.com/macports/macports-contrib/tree/master/portfile-gen.

I learned to write a portfile following some article in the wild, then I went through the whole guide, landed eventually in the mailing list.

While portfile-gen might help (homebrew has a similar feature), an *overview* of how to write a portfile is much needed.