[macports-mgr] Question about MacPorts project membership application

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun May 13 21:38:35 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-13 23:03, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 13 May 2018 at 21:32, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> On 2018-05-13 18:30, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>> The portmgr team might need some time to check the contributions and
>>> verify candidate's suitability for commit rights, but maybe they
>>> forgot to send you a preliminary confirmation of receiving your
>>> request and were simply waiting for the votes to arrive.
>>
>> We never did anything like that... Why would we expected to confirm the
>> reception of every single mail?
>
> Probably not confirming reception of every single email, but I believe
> it makes an enormous difference to the user asking for commit rights
> if he gets a simple, totally generic email saying something like
> "Thank you for contacting us and for volunteering to help us shape our
> package manager into an even better product. Please be patient while
> we are evaluating your recent contributions and don't hesitate to ping
> us again in case you don't get an answer within two weeks." ... as
> compared to not even knowing whether the email was sent to the correct
> email address and not lost on the way due to spam filters.

If there is a need for this, please add it to the guide. I do not see
why this would have to be in a reply from PortMgr. This just adds more
work that I am not willing to take.

It has only been five days. I cannot see the need to hurry on a request
for commit access. The person asking for commit access is expected to be
already contributing for a while. I think they could just continue the
same way even while their request is still pending.

I agree that PortMgr needs to handle pull requests in a timely manner
and we failed to do so in the past. Now PortMgr agreed to reply within a
week (even when it is still not documented in the guide; pull requests
welcome). I do not think it is feasible to get any faster than that as
our resources are also limited.

Rainer