Retiring ports.php

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Aug 15 14:06:30 UTC 2019

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 15:27, Joshua Root wrote:

> I think ports.macports.org is already clearly superior to ports.php, so
> we should change the Available Ports link to point there. However, we
> should not remove ports.php so as not to break existing links. I think
> we should make ports.php queries redirect to the corresponding p.m.o URL
> when possible (it won't always be possible since ports.php lets you
> search more fields).

What about specifying what is still missing and adding that
functionality to the new app?

> Thoughts?

I would definitely like to get a clear visible link to the main
website, as well as some post to macports-users and macports-announce.
Potentially we could even keep both sites for a little while. But what
would also be nice to do is some ability to back-link to the main
website from ports. Do we have someone with clear suggestions about
the landing page of ports.macports.org?

    https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp/issues/47

ports.php is simply part of the main page, so it's easy to keep
navigating to other parts of the site; we would need to add something
to the new app as well. Some kind of top / global menu, and definitely
improving the landing page.

At the same time it would also be nice to revive the discussion about
improving the overall design.
    https://github.com/constantin-p/macports-site/issues/1
    https://constantin-p.github.io/macports-site/
and converge to the design & content that we "all" want :)

Mojca