pymol crashing under Qt on Catalina

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Tue Oct 15 17:54:12 UTC 2019

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019, Jack Howarth wrote:

> It seems one of the issues that have stymied progress there is that scons
> isn't python 3 compatible.
>
> https://github.com/SCons/scons/issues/3299

That issue seems to be about Python 3.8, not 3.x.  SCons has been
compatible with Python 3 since v3, though 3.0.0 had some rough edges.

That being said, in general I'm not in favor of abandoning 2.7, since
there's still lots of Python code in the world that doesn't work with
Python 3.

>> On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 9:31 AM Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
[...]
>>> on Catalina, however the stock +python27 variant crashes Qt as follows...

Does pymol use any compiled Python extensions?  If so, there are a couple
of things to be aware of:

1) Python extensions need to be built against the same version of Python
that they'll run with.  I've seen symptoms ranging from ImportError to
segfaults when one gets this wrong.  This isn't just about the Python
version.  For example, I've seen segfaults resulting from switching
between the MacPorts Python 2.7 and the Apple Python 2.7.

2) Python extensions need source-level differences between Python 2 and
Python 3, though most likely getting this wrong would result in a build
failure, not a runtime failure.

Fred Wright