randomly bumping things to require perl 5.30 vs 5.28 requires everyone to have both installed ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 23 03:14:50 UTC 2020

On Jun 22, 2020, at 09:59, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> A simple used-to-be-quick  build of "curl" now requires two different perls installed.
>
> Perhaps unavoidable in some cases, but if you look around the web, this is in fact the #1 complaint about MacPorts: bloat.
>
> It might be an idea for the admins to "set" the perl version all ports will use (barring some actual real need for another), and then --- all-at-once -- change it to some new version to avoid this.
>
> And ideally we could look at changing it once every few years.

I thought we already had a tendency to do that. perl5.28 is the standard version to use in MacPorts today. Some ports were recently switched to perl5.30. There was a discussion complaining about that. They were switched back to perl5.28. If any others have not yet been switched back they probably should be.