Haskell Stack Ports on Apple Silicon

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 17:46:44 UTC 2021

> MacPorts base already knows this and allows the port to be installed on Apple Silicon even when it says supported_archs x86_64.

Then I believe there is a bug in the MacPorts download logic per the original post. When I try to install, e.g., pandoc, on an arm64 box, I hit this architecture mismatch error:

> Cannot install pandoc for the arch 'arm64' because
> It’s dependency stack is only installed for the arch 'x86_64'
> and does not have a universal variant.
> Unable to execute port: architecture mismatch

I confirm this issue is fixed if I remove the supported_archs line in the stack Portfile. When I remove this line, stack is able to build itself and run on Apple silicon (it builds and runs an x86_64 binary).

I’m at a loss whether to submit a PR for stack with the supported_archs line removed, or a bug report that this line prevents downloading and/or building stack-based binaries.

Please advise and I’ll follow up.

A separate, but related issue: it appears to me that stack/ghc builds using Rosetta on Apple silicon are not multi-threaded, and therefore take a looooong time. It would be desirable on Apple silicon to simply download the build-bot x86_64 binaries (if available), and avoid building on the M1. That this doesn’t happen by default on the M1 appears to be a related issue.