`port archive` ?

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Mon Oct 23 05:34:03 UTC 2023

On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 1:38 PM Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org> wrote:

> On 20/10/2023 15.14, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > It happens that I'd like to "install" a variant of a self-built port without actually activating it (e.g. when libraries are in use and I have no immediate need to activate that different variant).
> >
> > Looking through the code I saw there must exist a `port archive` command that isn't documented in the manpage. Does that do what I'm looking for or does it just make the tar bundle under $prefix/var/macports/software ?
>
> Yes, 'port archive' would do what you are looking for. You are correct
> this is actually missing in port(1), but please see the separate man
> page port-archive(1).
>
> Rainer

I sometimes try using the `port archive` command, and one thing I'm
wondering about it is, why does it bother calculating conflicts if it
doesn't actually install the port? Like, if its files don't get
activated, then any conflicts shouldn't occur, right? Anyways, in
cases where a conflict currently prevents `port archive` from
succeeding, I usually will just do `port destroot` instead.