Portfile for osxphotos

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Sep 7 08:26:21 UTC 2023

On 7/9/2023 16:03, Nils Breunese wrote:
> Does someone here think MacPorts could
> install osxphotos without using an intermediary package manager like
> pipx?

Yes, it looks like it's a standard setuptools build system, so the
python portgroup should handle it fine. The bigger job might be adding
ports for any dependencies that we don't currently have. I do see a lot
of version pinning in the dependency list, which is something we don't
support well, but it's also often unneeded.

That said, it might be worth taking a moment to consider what value
installation via MacPorts adds, compared to creating a venv and
installing osxphotos into it with pip. Typically we add python modules
to MacPorts because either something else in MacPorts needs them, or
they have dependencies that pip can't install.

> If someone would be willing to create an initial Portfile for
> osxphotos I wouldn’t mind volunteering to keep it up to date. Let me
> know if you’d like to help out with getting this going.

Here's an incomplete and untested first pass at one, based on a template
from the portfile-gen script:
<https://gist.github.com/jmroot/199e3a9348226979350e4be7d20ae865>

- Josh