Is HFS really "scary"?

Scott C. Kennedy sck at nogas.org
Wed Feb 6 10:45:10 PST 2008

But, then you have to deal with lazy developers & QA issues like...

    * Microsoft Office 2004 Entourage can't understand timezone when
      using sync services
         1. cd /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office (or the
            appropriately situated place on your machine)
         2. ln -s timezones.xml Timezones.xml
         3. ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /usr/share/zoneinfo/utc
    * Microsoft Office 2008 Entourage can't understand timezone when
      using sync services

       1. cd /Applications/Microsoft Office
          2008/Office/EntourageCore.framework/Resources or the
          appropriately situated place on your machine)
       2. ln -s timezones.xml Timezones.xml
       3. ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /usr/share/zoneinfo/utc

    * Symantec/Norton AntiVirus 10 & 11 can't run with case-sensitive
      filesystem.
    * HR Block TaxCut 2007 can't find images or XML files to function.
    * Feral Interactive - XIII - Game can't run when installed on
      case-sensitive filesystem.

And I keep finding more and more of them. :(

Scott