Port confused after 10.4 to 10.5 upgrade

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 20 16:57:18 PDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 17:03, Roland Besserer wrote:

> After upgrading from OSX 10.4 server to OSX 10.5 server and running
> a "port selfupdate" I can no longer install new packages.

Many ports in MacPorts build differently depending on the major
version of Mac OS X. So after upgrading to a new major version of Mac
OS X you should rebuild all ports. Only you have to do that in
dependency order. MacPorts doesn't include an automated way to do
this. My recommendation is to move /opt/local aside (rename it to /
opt/local-10.4 for example) and then reinstall the latest MacPorts
and the ports you need. You may also have data and configuration
files in /opt/local-10.4 you may need to move over to /opt/local.

> I had MacPorts 1.5 installed on 10.4 and upgraded to 10.5 (both
> server) a while back, but didn't touch MacPorts. Attempting to
> install a couple of additional packages yesterday, I got library
> version mismatch errors and decided to run a selfupdate. That
> successfully upgraded the port installation to 1.7
>
> Whenever I try to install a package now, I get the following error:
>
> error: $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET mismatch: now "10.5" but "10.4"
> during configure
>
> Any way to fix this?

That sounds like you partially installed a port (i.e. got through the
configure phase at least) while you were running Mac OS X 10.4 and
are now trying to complete that installation with Mac OS X 10.5.
Removing all of MacPorts as above will coincidentally fix this. Or
you can try "sudo port clean"ing whatever port it is you're getting
this error on, so that it will start over and run the configure phase
again.