Can I get ports to work under 10.10 Yosemite?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 11 15:16:04 PDT 2014

On Sep 11, 2014, at 5:12 PM, Clemens Lang wrote:

> On 11 Sep, 2014, at 23:34, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I find this inconvenient too. Though it was not guaranteed to always work, in
>> the past I would often rebuild MacPorts on the new version of OS X by running
>> "sudo port -f selfupdate"; now that we have the "wrong darwin" check, this and
>> all other commands just print an error message and require the user to more
>> laboriously figure out how to manually build from source.
>
> Maybe we should make it possible to run `sudo port -f selfupdate` despite the
> incorrect platform?

I think that would be helpful.

> Or even outright provide a "migrate" command that does the hard work for the user?

What would the command do? If it just rebuilds base, selfupdate already does that. If it also rebuilds all ports, then that's not probably not possible for most users on Yosemite beta right now because so many ports still don't build on Yosemite beta, and in general that's going to be the case anytime a new OS is released, until we and developers have had time to fix everything.