speex vs speex-devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 1 04:13:50 UTC 2017

On Mar 31, 2017, at 16:21, Jan Stary wrote:

> On Mar 31 14:05:03, hans at stare.cz wrote:
>> The speex port has no maintainer so I am asking here.
>> Why do we have both 'speex' and 'speex-devel'?
>> They consist of exactly the same files.
>> Similarly for speexDSP and speexDSP-devel.
>> Xiph.org itself has deprecated Speex in 2013.
>
> On Mar 31 10:00:23, michaelld at macports.org wrote:
>> Guessing it's legacy cruft. Seems like for deprecated projects, there
>> should be just a "final release" port with patches added here and there
>> for compatibility
>
> Can we clean this up? I suggest to
>
> 1. delete speex-devel as it is the same as speex
> 2. delete speexDSP-devel as it is the same as speexDSP
> 3. keep speex for those still using it
> 4. keep speexDSP, whch is not the obsolete codec,
>   but (AFAIU) an implementation of jitter corrrection etc.

Since it looks like speex has been superseded by opus, I guess there won't be any further major development on speex, so I agree having -devel ports isn't useful anymore.

Before actually removing them, the -devel ports should be replaced_by the non-devel ports for a time, to give users of the -devel ports a chance to upgrade to the non-devel ports.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/PortfileRecipes#replaced-by