MP_EDITOR doesn't work

Lenore Horner LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 5 21:27:38 UTC 2017

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 16:12, Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org <mailto:raimue at macports.org>> wrote:
>
> On 2017-04-05 21:54, db wrote:
>>> export VISUAL=/opt/local/bin/vim     works
>>> export MP_EDITOR=/opt/local/bin/vim  doesn't
>>
>> Could you please try it with an editor?
>
> It works for me. I cannot reproduce the problem you have.
>
> Rainer

For me (MacOS 10.12.3, latest MacPorts, .profile as the relevant file to edit)
$ export MP_EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
works.  However, following https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.shell.html <https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.shell.html>,
$ export MP_EDITOR=/usr/bin/edit
to use TextWrangler (yes, I have it installed) fails with “Error: unable to invoke editor /usr/bin/edit: couldn't execute "/usr/bin/edit": no such file or directory”.  I tried
$ export MP_EDITOR=/Applications/TextWrangler.app
but that fails with “Error: unable to invoke editor /Applications/TextWrangler.app: couldn't execute "/Applications/TextWrangler.app": permission denied” when I do
$ port edit texlive-xetex
and puts me in vim if I prepend sudo to the command.  (Oh, never mind.  I forgot I had the app store version and never installed the command line tools. Now
$ export MP_EDITOR=/usr/local/bin/edit
(note the correction to https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.shell.html <https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.shell.html>)
works.)

I haven’t installed any editors through macports so I can’t check the /opt path, but at least stuff in /usr works as expected.  (And thanks to poking at this, I now know two things I didn’t know before I started down this rabbit hole.)
Lenore