MacPorts Mailman maintainer?

Marius Schamschula lists at schamschula.com
Tue Jan 10 20:23:27 UTC 2017

William,

> On Jan 10, 2017, at 2:10 PM, William H. Magill <magill at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Is there an active maintainer for Mailman?
> The Available Ports listing lists "Maintained by: mps openmaintainer” - I do not understand this description.
>
> I need to ask a few questions about the MacPorts installation of Mailman, not about Mailman itself.

The way it works is that there are three options:

1) one ore more maintainers that exclusively maintain a port

2) maintainers that also permit other committers to make small changes (openmaintainer)

3) nomaintainer where there is no-one committed to the port

In this case, I’m the maintainer, and I’ve set the openmaintainer policy as well.

> For example:
> 1- How/where do the MacPorts installation of Mailman files map to the standard GNU locations.
> 	I can find some by trial and error, but others are not obvious.
> 	The Mailman support group talks about the old OSX Server installation, but not about the MacPorts version.

It is easy to see where MacPorts installs things: Just run

port contents mailman

> 2- What configuration changes do I need to make to integrate it with the MacPorts Apache2 server.
> 	This is/may-be complicated by the fact that I point  DocumentRoot to the “Sites/htdocs” directory under my own ID, with links back to things like:
> 		/opt/local/apache2/manual
> 		/opt/local/www/phpmyadmin

When I still used OS X/macOS as a server OS (I’ve switched to FreeBSD since and have moved my mailing lists to Dreamhost), I had a non-standard webroot as well (use /opt/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf to configure)

> I’m fairly certain that its something obvious I’m misinterpreting.
>
> I’ve had the MacPorts Apache2/Mysqul/Php code running on my headless Mac mini for quite some time now.
> I have been asked to handle a mailing list of about 1000 names for my retirement community.
>
> The install seemed to go flawlessly. But . . .
>
> Basically, I’m having issues getting Mailman to respond.
> 	I believe that I should be getting it to respond to:  <hostname>/mailman/admin, but have not yet gotten it to work.
> 	I have run into one comment that implies that an additional mime-type entry is necessary.
>
> The files:
>   /opt/local/share/doc/mailman/INSTALL
>   /opt/local/share/doc/mailman/README
> are generic GNU files.
>
> The only clues I find are in the MacPorts install log file.
>
> I started off with: sudo port select --set python python27 - from the install log.
>
> # Be sure to verify the email and URL host settings in the Mailman configuration file (they may have been guessed incorrectly during the configuration step):
> #
> #    /opt/local/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
> They seem to be correct.
>
> # Be sure to add the following line to your Apache httpd.conf configuration file to enable Mailman web access:
> #
> #    Include /opt/local/etc/httpd/mailman.conf
>
> Done
>
> # Be sure to set up the crontab entries for the 'mailman' user. Mailman runs a number of cron jobs for its basic functionality.
> #
> #     cd /opt/local/share/mailman/cron
> #     sudo crontab -u mailman crontab.in
>
> Also done.
> =======
> I am simply not getting the list maintenance interface to come up.

From my old notes, you need to add something like the following to your http.conf file (I had it set up in a separate virtual host file).

<IfModule mod_alias.c>
	ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/opt/local/libexec/mailman/cgi-bin/"
	Alias /pipermail/ "/opt/local/var/mailman/archives/public/"
	Alias /mailman-icons/ "/opt/local/share/mailman/icons/"
</IfModule>

<Directory "/opt/local/libexec/mailman/cgi-bin">
	Options +Indexes +ExecCGI +Includes +MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
	AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
	Require all granted
</Directory>

<Directory "/opt/local/share/mailman/icons">
	Options none
	AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
	Require all granted
</Directory>

<Directory "/opt/local/var/mailman/archives/public/">
	Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
	AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
	Require all granted
</Directory>

> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill
> # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.12.2
> # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.12.2
>
> magill at icloud.com
> magill at mac.com
> whmagill at gmail.com

Marius