older lib for port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 30 05:58:25 UTC 2017

> On Jan 28, 2017, at 09:54, db <iamsudo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is it feasible to maintain an older lib to compile a certain port?
>
> I wanted to update ngrep 1.45 (sourceforge) to 1.46 (github) and tried compiling in a system that had an older version of libpcap, 1.7.4 (current is 1.8.1). It worked only without the patches. It's far from ideal, but it has no maintainer and it hasn't been updated in a while, so I just thought, I might give it a try.

You are saying that ngrep 1.46 builds with libpcap 1.7.4 but fails to build with libpcap 1.8.1 and cannot be fixed to work with libpcap 1.8.1? In that case, yes, you would have to create a separate port for libpcap 1.7.4 that installs its files in a different location from where libpcap 1.8.1 installs its files, and then instruct ngrep how to find those files in their new location. This is not ideal (ideal is to make it work with libpcap 1.8.1) but can be done; there are other ports like this already.