Failed Install KMyMoney - Uninstall?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Nov 12 00:42:13 UTC 2017

On 12 November 2017 at 00:53, J. W. Hicks wrote:
> First post.
>
> I tried to install KMyMoney today but the installation failed for Mac OS
> 10.13.1, using the following command:
>
> $ sudo port install kmymoney4 @4.7.2_5
>
> I believe I know why:
>
> I declined to add a Java Run-Time Environment (didn't know this was required
> before I started)
> I failed to install all of the XCode tools (thought I had).

Even if you skipped these initially, it should be no problems to
install them now and try again.

> I have to admit now this install was beyond my terminal skills and now want
> to clean out all these installs - I don't need the failed install KMyMoney,
> MacPorts, or XCode. I'll stick with GnuCash.

Then the easiest thing to do is probably
    rm -rf /opt/local

WARNING: this will delete the complete /opt/local tree on your
computer. And make sure you type it correctly.

> The MacPort Guide Section 2.4 suggests I request guidance here before I
> uninstall KMyMoney. It further suggests that I consider instead:
>
> $ sudo port -fp uninstall installed
>
> Q1: I presume this command will limit itself to my most recent attempted
> KMyMoney install. Is that correct?

No, it will uninstall all the packages from MacPorts (except for
MacPorts itself).

I suspect that your installation ended way before you had KMyMoney
even installed, so if you want to give it a second chance, "sudo port
clean kmymoney4" might be sufficient if you want to re-attempt the
installation, but it's hard to say without more information and more
hints.

> Q2: Is this a better way than a full uninstall?

I'm confused. Do you still want to attempt getting a working binary of
KMyMoney or not?

If you really want to get rid of any traces of MacPorts, you can just
as well do "rm -rf /opt/local" (that is: really delete **everything**
in /opt/local).

If you want to try again, it might be best to come to the IRC channel
and get some real-time assistance.

> Q3:  Regardless of the answers to the above, I have a question that really
> slowed me down in this effort. Kmymoney.org offered me this: 4.7.2 for your
> Mac on MacPorts download. I did download it but never found a way to access
> this file on my Mac and the "port search" found version 4.7.2_5 anyway, so
> what was the point of the download?

You cannot really download anything from
    https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=kmymoney
It's just a (super user-unfriendly, but sadly the best we currently
have) listing of available packages.

The "_5" part in 4.7.2_5 is just internal revision that's local to
MacPorts. That's in fact version 4.7.2. Internal revisions get
increased when a dependency sees an upgrade and the package needs to
be rebuild etc.

Mojca