gimp on HS

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 12 18:45:05 UTC 2017

On Nov 12, 2017, at 12:22, William Parducci wrote:

> Sure. Here you go…

Ok, I see the problem now, and why I didn't see it on my system.

> :info:configure checking for perl... /opt/local/bin/perl
> :info:configure checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.24.3

gimp2 found perl 5.24, because you have the perl5 port installed with the +perl5_24 variant, which is the default.

> :info:configure checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is required for intltool

The perl 5.24 version of XML::Parser couldn't be found, because you don't have it installed. intltool was recently updated to use the perl 5.26 version of XML::Parser.

So, a quick workaround for you would be to install the perl5 port with the +perl5_26 variant:

sudo port install perl5 +perl5_26

We'll be making that the default variant eventually anyway.

Alternately, if you're not ready to move to perl 5.26 as your default perl, you could install the p5.24-xml-parser port:

sudo port install p5.24-xml-parser

I already had that port installed which is why I didn't see the problem originally.

But this is definitely a bug. Installing that port should not be necessary. The whole point of running autogen.sh was to regenerate the configure script so that it would do the XML::Parser check, since we already know we provide it.

Dave, do you know what has gone wrong here? I see that gimp2 contains its own copy of intltool.m4. Do we need to nuke or patch that copy too? I haven't checked if the other gimp ports are also affected.