running macports along with homebrew

Peter West lists at pbw.id.au
Wed Feb 14 22:36:18 UTC 2018

One of the reasons I prefer MacPorts is that it does NOT install in /usr/local.

I am still in the habit of thinking that /usr/local is a system directory that is expected to be inaccessible to the masses (me in this case.)  Some independent installers, like that for mysql, installed in /usr/local, and I presume the thinking is similar.

When Apple declared open season on /usr/local, was it because of the difficulties posed by SIP, or did it precede that?

I’ve had some success installing brew in /opt/homebrew, despite dire warnings not to.

Peter

…

…
\