10.13.2 supplemental update & root account

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Mon Jan 15 11:03:03 UTC 2018

On Jan 15 10:21:05, macintosh at mathiesen.info wrote:
> Jan Stary wrote:
> > I don't get it. 10.13.2 does _not_ have a root account by default? Why?
> > And if it does, how is that a problem? It's UNIX, of course there is
> > a 'root' account.
>
> macOS out-of-the-box has a de-activated root account; eg you can't log
> in as root or ssh into the box as root. The root account exists but in a
> dormant state and is accessed though sudo from admin accounts.

That seems like a sensible default.

> One of the things I do on my boxes is activating the root account;

Meaning that you can now do what?
Login as root on a console?
Login as root via ssh?

> and in some cases removing the other admin accounts,

Why?

> so I've only got root and users.

Meaning: users that can't su to root?

> Now, if the root account is de-activated

Is _that_ the problem you are talking about?
i.e. Apple 'disables' the rot account with the udate?

> you have no way of  administering the box
> - even with sudo at normal user accounts can't use sudo.

Well, keep yourself being admin then.

> Also if you have scrips that eg ssh into the box from the outside,
> this will completely thow off your setup.

You have scripts that remotely log in as root?

	Jan