scp ignores case in filenames?

Dr M J Carter Martin.Carter at physics.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 19 16:04:01 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 03:23:11PM +0100, Vincent Habchi wrote:

> > The point is third party applications (and perhaps even some Apple
> > stuff) is not well tested on anything other than the defaults. So
> > its far from impossible for there to be applications that
> > internally are not consistent with their naming.
>
> I’ve been working for years on case-sensitive HFS+/APFS file systems
> (coming from BSD Unix) and never encountered any problem. Only
> PyCharm needs an extra configuration line to be inserted. But that’s
> the only side effect I ever stumbled upon.

We had to go to case-insensitive partitions here to accommodate one or
more of Adobe's installers.  They may or may not DTRT now.  There's
also been much fun with leavers copying from a case-sensitive drive to
a case-blind one with rsync, falling foul of distinguishing files or
directories only by letter case, then wondering offsite where some of
their files went.

--
Dr Martin J Carter
Computer System Administrator