How upgrade dvisvgm without breaking texlive2018?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Oct 6 19:55:51 UTC 2018

On Oct 6, 2018, at 12:29, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> With MacPorts 2.5.4 under macOS 10.14…
>
> I just did a "port sync", then "port upgrade outdated”. The port dvisvgm @2.3.4_4 was configured, built, staged into destroot, installed, and cleaned.
>
> Next  I saw “Computing dependencies for dvisvgm” and got the message:
>
> 	Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has dependents as it breaks the dependents.
>     The following ports will break: texlive @2018_0
>
> How should I proceed?

I believe you can ignore the message, as long as you upgrade any remaining outdated ports later.

texlive depends on texlive-bin-extras, and texlive-bin-extras used to install a copy of the dvisvgm program. But we also have a standalone dvisvgm port which provides the same problem which was confusing. To solve that, so texlive-bin-extras was recently changed to no longer install its own copy of dvisvgm and to instead rely on the one in the dvisvgm port. When upgrading, it is necessary for the dvisvgm port to force the texlive-bin-extras port to deactivate, otherwise an activation conflict would occur. Deactivating texlive-bin-extras breaks texlive, hence the message you saw, but as long as you upgrade texlive-bin-extras afterward it will reactivate and there is no problem.