`port install' from github tarball fails

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 19:02:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-25, at 10:51 AM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> Don't be put off too much by this.  It takes only about 10 minutes
>> to fix, if you care to.  I use it on every machine < 10.9 routinely.
>> [...]
>
> Thanks, Mojca and Ken!  Configuring with
>
>  ./configure ac_cv_have_decl_rl_username_completion_function=yes \
>              --enable-readline \
>              --with-curlprefix=/opt/local
>
> (cf. https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57160#ticket, which I've just
> filed) gives me a `port' program that can download files from github.

I did that at first, and it works, but I changed it a day later. Watch out. That makes MacPorts self-dependant on the curl installed by that same installation of MacPorts. So, if you ever "sudo port uninstall curl", or any part of it, or similar, the whole thing will stop working.

That's why the /opt/bootstrap recommendation.

Ken