gdal at 3.0.1_3: Argument list too long

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Fri Nov 29 13:36:05 UTC 2019

I don't think it will help:

sh-3.2$ getconf ARG_MAX;sudo sh -c "ulimit -s 65532;ulimit -s;getconf ARG_MAX"
262144
65532
262144

(ARG_MAX was 262144, changed stack size and confirmed change, ARG_MAX was  still 262144)

That's assuming getconf can tell (I think it can), and isn't just giving back a hardcoded value.

Indeed, from what I've seen looking at the XNU source, it can't be raised without building a custom kernel (NOT a practical option).

With some  OSs, ARG_MAX aka NCARGS  is adjustable, with others it isn't.  macOS's is not necessarily the lowest with an apparently fixed limit, but not exceptionally high either.

Usually such situations mean that the approach of passing a huge number of command line arguments all at once is simply wrong (it's just not good to depend on a non portable limit); but I don't know enough about (GNU) libtool to suggest a workaround or alternative (if any). In particular, if there's a way to break it up and use libtool to incrementally build a library, I'm not seeing it in a very quick skim of the documentation.