Xorg-server problems

Andrew Hartung a.r.hartung at icloud.com
Wed Oct 16 00:04:20 UTC 2019

I can not get X11 to work correctly.

Mac OS 10.14.6

Clicking X11.app causes it to loop in a cycle of starting for a few seconds, quitting and repeat. I have to restart to get it to stop.

startx :

~ $ startx
font_cache: Scanning user font directories to generate X11 font caches
font_cache: Updating FC cache
font_cache: Done

xinit: XFree86_VT property unexpectedly has 0 items instead of 1
xinit: connection to X server lost

waiting for X server to shut down

If I try and launch a program for the command line it just hangs and X11 appears to never launch. I’m running two monitors if that matters at all.

my .xinitrc:
# make the freedesktop menu entries work
 export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/opt/local/share
 export XDG_DATA_HOME=/opt/local/share
 export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/opt/local/etc/xdg

 # enable sound
 export ESPEAKER=localhost

 # use Apple's window manager
 exec quartz-wm &

~ $ echo $PATH
/opt/local/libexec/gnubin/:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/go/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/Commands