MacPorts 2.6 - Leopard 20.6 and libgcc8

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Sep 26 23:17:10 UTC 2019

On Sep 26, 2019, at 18:12, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
>> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/2e46a05404462e04930b612ed29d9f08ece64603
>>
>> I have no way though to test the logic on an OS as ancient as 10.5....
>
> I patched the file locally in my macports.... then rerun build of harfbuzz and the dependency issue is gone.
>
> harfbuzz tries to use gcc 6 and a lot of errors ! I forced clang 5.0 .... and smooth harfbuzz upgraded!

Could you file a bug report about the failures you got using gcc 6, if one doesn't already exist?

> I suppose this is an important fix for 10.5 user, we soon need a 2.6.1

The list of compiler dependencies is kept in 2 places: in the ports tree, and also in MacPorts base. Chris updated both to fix this issue. The list in MacPorts base only comes into effect if the user doesn't have a ports tree yet, so yes, this change will make it into 2.6.1, but no, there's no urgent need to release 2.6.1 just for this.