Running X11 in MacOS-window-as-X11-display mode?

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 9 09:51:12 UTC 2020

> On 9 Dec 2020, at 5:59 am, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Dec 8, 2020, at 23:44, Ken Preslan wrote:
>
>> My main problem was performance.  In the Mojave time-frame the xorg server was updated from 1.18 to 1.20.  Performance for xterm scrolling tanked.  It was unusable.  I complained on macports-users on April 1st 2019.  There was a thread about it and Christopher Jones created a xorg-server-1.18 port, which made things better for me.
>
> Oh yes I do remember that. I've stayed on High Sierra so I haven't seen these problem myself.
>

>> When I upgrade to Catalina, the xorg-server-1.18 port stopped working.
>
> I don't see any open tickets about xorg-server-1.18.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/84e44c01750be5e17f9d972efa1654c79edebe5c <https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/84e44c01750be5e17f9d972efa1654c79edebe5c>

I have not tested what consequences there are to removing the line in question, but the port at least builds and passes basic tests (xterm runs) on macOS11.

Chris