Git question

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 14:04:41 UTC 2020

> "reset" is not a git command I ever run in the normal course of my contributions to MacPorts

Practically, the most efficient way to fix conflicts or really any git local error is to save work outside git, do a `git reset --hard upstream/master`, and copy the work back.

This is also true for syncing the local fork to upstream when creating a new branch off master.

That’s why the xkcd joke works—common experience is that it takes years of experience to learn the git commands to track down problematic commit hashes on a DAG. Even then the troubleshooting is a nightmare.

No thanks. Save work and`git reset --hard` at the first sign of problems.