rebuild a package without an update

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Fri Nov 13 23:45:50 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 2020-11-08 08:18:22 +0100 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2020, at 12:46, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
>> I need to rebuild a package which is not working due to a dependency
>> upgrde. revdep "catches" it but revdep fails to build it because it
>> uses
>> the wrong compiler and I need to force it (also because the compiler
>> itself
>> is broken because it is broken because the library is broken....)
>
>> I usually in these cases just run "port upgrade xxxx
>> configure.compiler=xxx" but in this case there is nothing to
>> upgrade, I
>> need to rebuild in place.
>
>> How can I do?
>
> This situation should not arise. But: you can force a rebuild of a
> port using:

Indeed, but we have an issue that ICU upgrades break libxml2 and that
one breaks *all* clang compilers.
Since gcc now links using clang.... also al macports clangs are broken!

So I have to force the "gcc-4.2" of xcode... that one works (and,
luckily, libxml2 still compiles with it)

> sudo port -ns upgrade --force theportname
>
> and add whatever extra variables you want to set after that.

Thanks! it worked for the purpose, but did resurrect my system only
partially, very strange, but issues that are off-topic for this mail.
I'll pinpoint exactly the remaining issues and report them separately.
Original issue "solved".

It is a delicate siuation, with Ken we were supposing to make a static
version or link statically, so that an upgrade does not "turn down"
all MacPort compilers.

Riccardo