Warning: cltversion:....

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Wed Jun 2 10:21:20 UTC 2021

This happens both on a 2017 iMac running Catalina and a 2010 MBA running High Sierra.

Every time I run "sudo port upgrade outdated" I get the message about the command line tools:

"Warning: cltversion: The Command Line Tools are installed, but MacPorts cannot determine the version."

I follow the instructions here:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#reinstall-clt>

This is the iMac:

MrMuscle:volumes mnewman$ touch /tmp/.com.apple.dt.CommandLineTools.installondemand.in-progress
MrMuscle:volumes mnewman$ softwareupdate -l
Software Update Tool
Finding available software
Software Update found the following new or updated software:
* Label: Command Line Tools for Xcode-12.4
	Title: Command Line Tools for Xcode, Version: 12.4, Size: 440392K, Recommended: YES,
MrMuscle:volumes mnewman$ rm /tmp/.com.apple.dt.CommandLineTools.installondemand.in-progress
MrMuscle:volumes mnewman$ softwareupdate -l
Software Update Tool
Finding available software
No new software available.
MrMuscle:volumes mnewman$ pkgutil --pkg-info=com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
package-id: com.apple.pkg.CLTools_Executables
version: 12.4.0.0.1.1610135815
volume: /
location: /
install-time: 1622628917
groups: com.apple.FindSystemFiles.pkg-group

But it doesn't seem to "stick" and the next time it shows up again.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike Newman
Korat, Thailand