Does MacPorts depend on Spotlight?

Sriranga Veeraraghavan sriranga at berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 17 20:26:24 UTC 2021

Long ago, I was told that Spotlight would not index a folder and its subfolders if the file .metadata_never_index was present.  I can’t vouch for this (mostly because I generally disable Spotlight), but it is perhaps something that someone can try and see if works, for example:

$ sudo touch /opt/local/.metadata_never_index

Also, I think there is some programmatic / CLI way to add folders to the excluded list because if you have Roxio Toast installed, it adds some folders to the Privacy list that shows up in System Preferences.

Thanks,

-ranga