Apple Silicon Hardware and MacPorts

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Nov 15 06:01:37 UTC 2023

My reply wanders OT but may be of interest to the OP. Certainly would have been useful to me 2 weeks ago

> On Nov 15, 2023, at 11:04, Alexander Newman via macports-users <macports-users at lists.macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I hope that this is the right place to ask a few questions about Apple Silicon Hardware and MacPorts - I won’t be offended if this post is ignored.
>
> I’ve trawled through the FAQs but can’t find any references to Apple Silicon hardware, which I assume is a good thing. I do realise that a number of MacPorts ports appear not to be compilable for AS systems, yet.
I’ve had no issues with my ports: qt6, bash, qt6-charts, curl, inkscape  but I needed the full XCode. Using a macbook pro, M3, sonoma. I used some unix thuggery to rid of SIP, install a root password etc.

> I currently have a mid-2010 27” i7 iMac (32 MB RAM) that is running Ventura on top of OCLP
On my 2011 iMac27 (i5) I was unable to get OCLP to work. Could not get past “No Such File” or similar. Only difference I see is a 2T samsung flash (Which makes the machine a pleasure to use.)

> (and doing much better than it did natively running High Sierra with the last security updates). I am using this solution until I can figure out what Apple Silicon best meets my needs with respect to compiling MacPorts ports (I use Inkscape, R and Octave, amongst other things).
The middle range 14 Core M3 is faster than 6 core i7. I use mythtv and that is on par with the best I’ve seen.

> I should also say that an entry-level 2017 21.5” iMac (bottom spec) that one of my family members acquired is without doubt the worst computer that I’ve ever used, and that includes 8088/6 DOS machines. Nice screen, but a horror to do try and do anything on.
>
> I have been waiting for several years to see what I can replace the 27” iMac with - the Mac Studio is probably over-powered for my requirements, the Mac mini M2 needs an external display (finding a decent quality 27”+ display seems to be difficult here were I live, in Australia,
Scortptec have nice 27” and 32” samsung 4K monitors for under AU$300

> and the Apple Studio Display is wickedly expensive), and I wasn’t at all sure that the M1 iMac would cut it, especially after the experiences with the ghastly 21.5” iMac.
>
> The M3 iMac is out now, which may or may not change things, so I am currently pondering whether I should plump for a specced-out M3 iMac now, wait to see what sort of mini (M3, M3 Pro?) comes out next year (presumably), or wait for a lower-end M3 Max Studio (again, next year, and least preferred option).
>
> Are large-ish MacPorts ports going to compile all right on a 24 MB RAM iMac with, say, a 2TB SSD, without the hardware throttling? The same with running R. Do many people on this list use AS machines, and what are their experiences and advice regarding MacPorts on them? Am I in fact over-thinking it?
Mine is a M3 14core with 36G RAM but is certainly quick, quicker than a 6 core i7.
So far the only issue that has beaten me: I cannot install a Case Sensitive file system on sonoma, allthough I have read: Format the disk Case Sensitive then do a timemachine restore.
I can’t imagine discent in this forum but let me say in unix-land INSTALL and install are quite different files.

James