work-around for Xcode 15 linker issue?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 20:02:46 UTC 2023

Several ports I had been trying tore-ininstall under macOS Sonoma (in order to re-install, finally, maxima and wxMaxima,
still seem to be failing configuration, even though I did add the two exports to my ~/.profile (and, of course, after restarting the shell), namely:

ipopt, sbcl, scalapack, scotch

I've updated existiing, or filed new, tickets about that.

Anything else to try?

> On Oct 2023 16:18:25 +0100, Maxim Abalenkov <maxim.abalenkov at gmail.com <mailto:maxim.abalenkov at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> ... As mentioned in the previous posts on this list, please see Apple?s comments on the new linker issue:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcode-release-notes/xcode-15-release-notes#Linking?
> Xcode 15 Release Notes | Apple Developer Documentation
> developer.apple.com <http://developer.apple.com/>
>
> For now, use Xcode 15 and its command line tools and try to enforce the old linker by defining the following environment variables:
>
>  export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=12
>  export OTHER_LDFLAGS=-Wl,-ld_classic
>
> You may place them into your ~/.profile file. I hope this helps.
>

>> On 2 Oct 2023, at 15:29, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> As reported at grac.macports.org <http://grac.macports.org/> <http://grac.macports.org/>, a number of ports will no longer install because configure fails with Xcode 15, which apparently has a linker issues.
>>
>> Some have suggested reverting to Xcode 14.3.1, to work around those issues.
>>
>> But under macOS Sonoma, that does not seem to be an option: After replacing Xcode 15 with Xcode 14.3.1, and similarly for the command-line tools, if I open Xcode 14.3.1, I get an error that this version of Xcode will not work with the OS (Sonoma).
>>
>> Is there some other work-around?

---
Murray Eisenberg		murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mobile (413)-427-5334