Help me understand dependents of libgcc-devel vs gcc13?

Jim DeLaHunt list+macports-users at jdlh.com
Mon Oct 16 02:32:05 UTC 2023

Hi folks:

My "port upgrade outdated" commands were being blocked for a couple of
weeks because a) port libgcc-devel was failing to build (see ticket
#68421 [1]), and b) several ports were dependents of libgcc-devel for
reasons I don't understand, and c) I had port libgcc-devel and not port
gcc13 installed, for reasons I don't understand.

I blundered around until I fixed the problem (I think) by 1.
deactivating libgcc-devel, blasting past the warning that five ports
would break; then 2. installing port gcc13, which seemed to fill the
hole left by libgcc-devel.

Could someone please help me understand:

Q: why are ports like fftw-3 reported as dependents of port
libgcc-devel? I don't see anything in fftw-3's portfile[2] which
mentions port libgcc-devel, or indeed any gcc or libgcc, are dependencies.

I suspect there is some behind-the-scenes dependency addition. Maybe it
is behind the scenes because so many ports depend on C or C++ compilers.
Where is this dependence addition documented? How should I as a user
think of it?

Q: Why would I have libgcc-devel installed, and not have gcc13 (which
has dependencies on ports libgcc and libgcc13) installed?

What sort of things cause the oblivious user to install libgcc-devel?

Q: was deactivating libgcc-devel and explicitly installing gcc13 the
right way to fix this problem?

(I am using macOS 12.6 Monterey, so I think the portfiles tell me that
gcc13 is the correct version.)

Note that the details of the breakage of port libgcc-devel don't matter
to me if I don't need it, and can use something else instead.

Thanks in advance for helping me understand,
      —Jim DeLaHunt

[1] <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/68421>, ' libgcc-devel
@14-20231001_0: build fails on arm64 "Configuration
aarch64-apple-darwin21 not supported"'