Help with legacysupport PortGroup for building GIMP for older MacOS's

Lukas Oberhuber lukaso at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 16:41:13 UTC 2023

Hi,

Currently the legacysupport portgroup doesn't work with the setting
macosx_deployment_target in macports.conf. But would this be possible?

The legacy support package gets its platform indicator from this call in
the Makefile:

PLATFORM=shell $(UNAME) -r | $(SED) -ne 's/\([0-9][0-9]*\)\..*/\1/p'

but this value can be overridden according to BUILDING.txt. If MacPorts set
PLATFORM to the right darwin version, then all should be well, right?

I'd even be happy with a variant that had a variable
`legacy_support_deployment_target 17` which did the trick of setting
PLATFORM.

Anyway, 2 questions:

- Does this sound reasonable? As in, is it likely to work in principle.
- What would be the best way to add it if it was reasonable (say I were to
try).

A bit of background: GIMP requires a huge number of ports to build and
deploy. When any one of those ports breaks, the GIMP build breaks. And some
of them are now breaking for 10.13 (our x86 target OS) when there's no
legacysupport.

For now I'm having to shadow them, which is a painful exercise for me. If
they just worked, that would be amazing.

Thanks,

Lukas (GIMP Macos Maintainer - hence the question)