Timing of MacPorts Support for New macOS Versions

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Sep 22 02:20:00 UTC 2023

> I’m curious if you’ve revisited the NDA recently, since a skim of the verbiage makes it seem to me that discussing the new OSes should be OK, assuming we don’t review it or post screenshots. Fromhttps://developer.apple.com/support/terms/apple-developer-program-license-agreement/#ADPLA9.1:
>
> > Further, Apple agrees that You will not be bound by the foregoing confidentiality terms with regard to technical information about pre-release Apple Software and services disclosed by Apple at WWDC (Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference), except that You may not post screenshots of, write public reviews of, or redistribute any pre-release Apple Software, Apple Services or hardware.
>
> IANAL and all, but this clause is fairly new and if you haven’t re-evaluated that policy for a while it might be worth doing so again.

That seems like a badly-written clause to me because there are at least
two ways you can parse it, and it greatly changes the meaning. But in
any case, I think it's important to point out that we are not attempting
to give anyone advice about which actions do or don't violate their NDA.
If you have an agreement with Apple, it's your responsibility to ensure
that you are keeping your side of it.

The statements in the documentation and links to them in ticket comments
are meant to be (a) a courtesy reminder that pre-release OS versions
tend to be under NDA, since users sometimes forget this; and (b) a way
to find out about project members that are permitted to see any
information that is not allowed to be posted publicly. But again, it's
up to the person who signed the NDA to determine which information that is.

If the docs are not making this sufficiently clear, please feel free to
propose improvements or make PRs.

- Josh