force rebuild a port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 6 02:18:22 UTC 2024

On Apr 5, 2024, at 12:35, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> If I do
>
> port -n upgrade --force --no-rev-upgrade harfbuzz
>

> it completes in a matter of seconds... and the ol' MacBook isn't that fast :)
>
> I see cleaning, uninstalling, cleaning, installing activating, cleaning... but never configure/building!
> Why?

As others explained, because you're getting a pre-compiled binary from our servers. This is probably what you want if you suspect something has corrupted your local installation and you want to reinstall.

On the other hand, if you believe there is a defect in our pre-compiled binary, add -s to the -n flag to force a build from source. If that fixes the issue you're seeing, file a bug so we can increase the port's revision (and possibly additional changes) so that a new corrected binary is produced.