Macports, pip, and vent

Jim Secan james.secan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 16:43:14 UTC 2024

I’m setting up to use a collection of python codes developed by someone else, and to run them I’ll need to use some python modules/packages that aren’t available via MacPorts (nvector, pykml, and stripy).  From looking over old posts it appears that the best way to do this is to install all of the packages available from MacPorts either in my main environment or in the virtual environment and the PyPI-available packages only in the virtual environment.  I’ve not fiddled with venv stuff before - I assume that everything available in my main environment will also be available in the virtual environment unless it is “hidden” behind something installed in the virtual environment.  Is this correct?

Thanks.

Jim
Seattle, WA