X11 no longer starts - it does again but now some GTk3 apps abort with a BadAccess

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 17:13:47 UTC 2024

On Saturday February 17 2024 09:00:13 Jeremy Sequoia wrote:

Hi,

>Over TCP, you might not be getting DRI and GLX, so that might be forcing GTK down some alternative codepath

Yes, that's what I thought re: performance or feature loss, but `glxinfo` shows the same features with both DISPLAY types. Nor surprising really, with XQuartz .

I tried exiting from X11, emoving /tmp/.font-unix, /tmp/.X11-unix* and /tmp/.ICE-unix and restarting X11. That recreated all those dirs except .font-unix (was empty and 0777) and .X11-SrkljqE7 (0700) ... and the problem is gone.

I have to believe this is why I disabled the org.macports.privileged_start plist long ago. Also, the codepath in question goes over Cairo, and see https://unix.stackexchange.com/q/151884/70384 for a very similar kind of problem.

R.