specific port collections for old systems (Leopard, Snow Leopard...)

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Wed Feb 21 11:03:20 UTC 2024

Hi,

I know that the MacPorts "policy" is to provide the same version of all
packages for all operating system versions and then handle differences
of option, variants, patches in the specific portfile. There are some
minor exceptions.
If an old version of a port needs to live on, two ports exist (e.g. all
compiler versions)

Two things can happen though:
1) a port in version X works on the system, but X+1 doesn't work, work
is in progress to make it work, but as-is it fails to compile or run
2) even after long work of 1) a port cannot compile in a newer version
or there is too much work involved

a case of 2) is e.g. MacVim, which is just not available for old system
and is quite convenient. a case of 1) has been Emacs, which now works!

I have a local overlay repository where I "pin" certain packages to a
specific version. For a long time Ken Cunnigham provided those, my work
is much simpler for now, mostly just a temporary "stop-gap" so that the
system can finish upgrading and remains usable.

Is there interest that I share my work?
It may help others and encourage backports, but it also has some drawbacks

1) if not continuously checked, one might stick to an old version, even
if official macports has "fixed" the port. I see no easy fix here,
except for periodically "hiding" a port manually, reindex, try to build
and see
2) it creates a system of dependencies which is different from official.
It may help get things going, but may also complicate debugging of
dependent ports
3) it may cause false bugs, if someone fails a bug and doesn't notice it
is building an "Unofficial" portfile
4) since it is an overlay, it is not a "fork" of the official repository
where one can then easily make pull-requests from

Ken, you stopped doing it: a specific burden?

What do you think about it?

Right now 10.5 has several hiccups, so I am working locally to get at
least to the point where "everything upgrades again".

It could also serve as a playground for e.g. gcc8 or so.

Riccardo