Borg backup is complaining about msgpack python package version

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Jan 5 12:45:46 UTC 2024

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 10:42:25PM -0800, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> You do not have a supported version of the msgpack python package
> installed. Terminating.
> This should never happen as specific, supported versions are required
> by our setup.py.
> Do not contact borgbackup support about this.
> terminating with error status, rc 2

For reasons I don't understand, borgbackup wants to allow-list every new
version of the msgpack library manually, so every update of the msgpack
library breaks borgbackup.

jmr committed the last update to msgpack in
  https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/0dce65698d178a176c0984859080d6ff9da07fe8

The upstream change to allow msgpack 1.0.7 is
  https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/commit/cdcab4df6851b5d3da6ac5435bcaeb8aa1d632b5

You'll notice that this change does not come with any modifications of
the source code otherwise, so msgpack 1.0.7 would work with your
existing version of borgbackup, but it refuses it for no good reason.

This upstream commit is not in a tagged release yet, so we need to
backport it manually to borgbackup.

--
Clemens